Adult Education for Teachers
Adult Education for Teachers.
In-depth teaching skills development for health educators and clinical coaches:
Duration: 6 days face to face
- Small classes.
- Combines Introduction to Adult Learning and Train the Trainer programmes
- Practical application
- Online resources and post course support
Introduction to Adult Learning
introductory overview of adult learning and a toolkit of options to consider
when developing a lesson plan that engages their learners in a session.
This course explores and develops skill set surrounding:
- Valuing the adult learner and considering their learning preferences in a teaching session. The learning process and learning stages, and considerations for presenting to different generation group.
- How to effectively design and structure a lesson plan for teaching content and skills to an audience.
- Skills for coaching, peer consultation and teaching and engaging your audience.
- Working with the complexities of personalities in your audiences.
- Peer consultation groups and principles of effective peer group work.
- Read and complete a 4-page pre learning handout
- Bring a current lesson topic or lesson plan you would like to develop or redevelop, or a job related topic you would like to explore and design learning for
- Bring 2-3 coaching or teaching challenges and successes to review in a peer consultation process
- Between Day 1 and 2 course participants, develop a lesson plan and bring it to Day 2 training for discussion and reflection with other course members.
- Provide reflective feedback on the outcome of the above process.
Train the Trainer for Nurse Educators.
course has been arranged to provide professional development to Nurse Educators and Clinical Coaches who
have teaching responsibilities and opportunities to help others learn.
- Participants of the 4-Day
- Further develop the skills, behaviour and knowledge necessary to present and teach
- Create courses from planning infancy to evaluation; supporting learners to meet learning and
- Include considerations for sustaining development back
in the workplace.
- Grow confidence as educators, and manage with more ease various individual and group dynamics.
Role of the Educator
- Gain greater clarity and definition of the nurse educator role and responsibilities
The Adult Learner and Learning
- Familiarisation of adult learning concepts, learning preferences, and the learning process
Learning Needs Analysis
- Perform learning needs analysis that considers organisational & consumer outcomes.
- Write clear course goals.
Instructional Design and Development
- Design evidenced learning interventions
- Source and develop relevant material for learning
- Write clear lesson plans for teaching adult learners
- Organise and set up learning events to support learning outcomes
Evaluating and Sustaining Learning
- Design learner assessments and course evaluation that match learning aims and performance objectives
- Include an evaluation structure to support ongoing learning in the workplace
- Manage self-effectiveness and learners responses through the stages of group development, and individual complexities
Facilitation and Audience Engagement Skills
- Use presentation skills that enhance audience engagement, interest and participation
- Prepare and structure feedback in conversations and during a debrief process
- Use debriefing as a learning opportunity
- Participate in and facilitate effective peer consultation sessions.
Pre Course Learning and preparation
In preparation for this course, participants will:
- Bring a current lesson topic or lesson plan you would like to develop or redevelop, or a job related topic you would like to explore and design.
- Bring 2-3 coaching or teaching challenges and successes to review in a peer consultation process.
Post Course Learning
- Between blocks one and two, course participants will design and develop a 20-minute teaching session to deliver in-class at Day 3.
- The teaching will be videoed and a copy provided to participants.